Saturday, October 30, 2004

Very Interesting Story About Pres. Bush

One of my Deaf students got a copy of one a mass email that was sent out about President Bush. She read the story and then decided to find out if it is true or not. She found the author of this story, (the man who met President Bush and has this story to tell), called his home through the relay service and ended up talking to his wife for half an hour. Later the wife sent her a follow up email with a copy of the original story Bruce Vincent wrote to tell of his day at the White House. It really touched my heart. Regardless of what I believe about some of the decisions he has made, this story impressed me very much that Pres. Bush really does care about people deeply.

The story is long so I'm only going to put some of it here and then a link to the longer story that you can read if you are interested. It's worth reading.

Bruce Vincent is the Executive Director of Provider Pals a nation-wide urban/rural youth exchange program based in Montana. He was the recipient of a Preserve America Presidential Award, presented to him by the president in the White House. This is his account of an extraordinary moment between him and President Bush that occurred at the end of the presentation.

Excerpt:

On our way out of the office we were to leave by the glass doors on the west side of the office. I was the last person in the exit line. As I shook his hand one final time, President Bush said “I’ll be sure to tell Marc hello and give him your regards.” I then did something that surprised even me. I said to him, “Mr. President, I know you are a busy man and your time is precious. I also know you to be a man of strong faith and have a favor to ask you.” As he shook my hand he looked me in the eye and said, “Just name it.” I told him that my step-Mom was at that moment in a hospital in Kalispell, Montana, having a tumor removed from her skull and it would mean a great deal to me if he would consider adding her to his prayers that day. He grabbed me by the arm and took me back toward his desk as he said, "So that’s it." I could tell that something is weighing heavy on your heart today. I could see it in your eyes. This explains it.” From the top drawer of his desk he retrieved a pen and a note card with his seal on it and asked...

Link to the whole story


Thanks Raelyn!!!!!!!

No comments: